The Pinnell Group, LLC.

(281) 363-8700   

When do I need the services of a land surveyor?

  • When preparing to: Buy or sell land.
  • Erect fencing near property lines.
  • Harvest timber. Establish hunting rights.
  • Clear land.
  • Develop Property.
  • Divide an Estate.

What are the benefits of having a land survey completed?

If the property corners had not previously been marked, a land survey will mark and monument them. A Plat of Survey can also then be prepared and signed by the surveyor which shows the nature of the monuments found or set, measurements of all property lines, and any encroachments, building lines, and easements. If requested, the surveyor can also show the location of all buildings or specially noted markers on the parcel.

What are the different types of surveys?

There are three general groupings of surveys which includes several specific survey types. The three types are: boundary surveys, engineering surveys, and environmental surveys. Boundary surveys include: monumented land survey, land survey plat, improvement survey plat, American Land Title Association (ALTA) survey or land title survey, and others. Boundary surveys in Texas are regulated by the Texas Board of Professional Land Surveyors and must meet the "Minimum Standards of Practice". The Texas Society of Professional Surveyors publishes the "Manual of Practice" which established requirements for nine (9) categories of surveys. For additional information on the requirements you may visit their web page at Engineering surveys include: topographic surveys, right-of-way acquisition surveys and construction surveys. Engineering surveys can be used to generate plan and profile sheets, digital terrain models, aerial maps, and subdivision plats. Environmental surveys include surveys for monitoring well locations, wetlands delineation, landfill surveying and remedial operations.

Why do I need an Elevation Certificate?

As part of the agreement for making flood insurance available in a community, the NFIP requires the community to adopt floodplain management regulations that specify minimum requirements for reducing flood losses. One such requirement is for the community to obtain the elevation certificate of the lowest floor (including the basement) of all new and substantially improved buildings, and maintain a record of such information. The elevation certificate provides a way for a community to document compliance with the community's floodplain management ordinance.